Sunday, November 21, 2004

IMBB#10 Walnut Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies


Cookies_WalnutOatmeal
Originally uploaded by kjkausha.

This is my first time partipating in an IMBB event, a monthly online cooking event hosted by a foodblogger somewhere in the world. This month's theme is a Cookie Swap, and while I wasn't sure until just this afternoon if I would be able to participate, I've whipped up some easy, yet tasty cookies that are also quite seasonal.

With Thanksgiving around the corner, the main food activities this weekend have concentrated on putting together a menu (we're expecting 10-15 people), and doing as much of the grocery shopping as possible. I didn't shop for cookie ingredients specifically so I looked through some of the treasures found at the farmer's market yesterday to see what I could throw together. With organic walnuts from the farmer's market and cranberries with orange flavor from Trader Joe's I decided to adapt a Cooking Light Oatmeal Walnut Cookie recipe. Yep, Cooking Light. So these cookies have less fat, and a bit of a different texture than regular cookies. I also think that because I used cranberries instead of raisins, that the original recipe called for, the cookies could have done without all the sugar - they were just a little too sweet. And maybe more walnuts. For a quick, light, eye pleasing, colorful cookie, I recommend'em. Do they compare to full fat, melt in your mouth oatmeal cookies? Nah ...


Walnut Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies
1/2 cup granualted sugar (Suggestion to use less if using canberries)
1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup regular oats
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup cranberries (I used Trader Joe's flavored with orange)
1/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts (I would use more)

1. Preheat oven to 350degrees.
2. Place first 5 ingredients in large bowl, beat with mixer until well blended. Add flour, salt, oats and beat well. Stir in cranberries and walnuts (don't forget to toast walnuts!)
3. Drop by tablespoon on greased baking sheet. Baked 12-15 minutes until lightly browned.