Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Nigella Lawson: Domestic Goddess?

As much as I love to cook, I have never roasted a whole chicken in the oven - until now. There have been boneless breasts and thighs all different ways and beer-butt whole chickens on the bbq but never a chicken I had to cut myself and roast in the oven. I turned to Nigella Lawson for advice and instructions figuring her Slow Roasted Garlic and Lemon Chicken, one of her top 5 most requested recipes, was bound to be a hit.

Needless to say, the chicken came out dry. Was it me? Maybe I could blame it on the great gas oven we have or maybe it was the frozen chicken I started with. The fresh lemons from the farmer's market? The cheap white wine I used? Aha, it must be the dinky roasting pan we have, one we were hoping would be replaced with a brand new roasting pan with V rack as a wedding gift. Alas, that gift is still on our Macy's bridal registry and given that Thanksgiving is coming we will be buying it ourselves.

Karen Kaushansky: Domestic Goddess? No, but hell I'm trying!