Friday, July 02, 2004

Firefly July 1st

Firefly has been on our list for a while - it's also on the SF top 100 of 2004. There's a mention of it in San Francisco magazine for best neighborhood dining. It was time to give it a try and we wanted to take full advantage so we went on a Thursday night because they have prix fixe for $29 - you get appetizer, entree, dessert, and coffee or tea for $29!! I really good deal.

Nino called to get a reservation about 5pm Thursday and got us in for 6:15. It's in a nice neighborhood on 24th 2 blocks west of Castro. I don't think there's even a sign on the restaurant just a looming, large firefly above the door. The restarant was bright, probably because of the time we were there, had a nice bar to eat at and wooden tables. There were tables for 2 and 4 with larger group tables in the middle.

Nino ordered the Hartford Pinot Noir and I had the Navarro Gewertraminer - both ok choices. For appetizers we ordered the scallop/shrimp potstickers which we one of the highlights of the meal - pan fried but not greasy, yummy crunch and good dipping sauce. We also had the Ahi napolean salad - layered greens, avocado, ahi and a fried chip. It was good but not stellar - somehow the fish didn't have enough flavor.

Nino ordered the seabass with miso on somen noodles. It was really light and tasty - I think I liked it better than mine. I had king salmon with lobster - lobster mushroom sauce - a little saucy and heavier than the seabass, tasty but the top of the salmon was a little too salty. The mushrooms were great ... what are "lobster mushrooms" anyway?

To finish a good decent meal I ordered the lemon pudding cake which was light and not too sweet - Nino called it refreshing. He ordered the strawberry shortcake which I thought was also light and not too sweet. Nicely presented too.

All in all a good meal. I would recommend it to people. I can see why it made the top 100 but I didn't make Karen and Nino's top 25.